Burgers are a staple in our house! Why? Because they’re quick to make, delicious and inexpensive. The last part is key, because when buying properly raised meat, cost does become a factor. And after beef shanks and organ meats, ground beef is the cheapest cut you can get! So between tacos, burgers, pasta sauce and chili (in the fall/winter), we eat a lot of it!
And while I could eat the same ol’ burger day in, day out (plain topped with salsa, sauerkraut, red onion and avocado – for anyone who’s interested!), I do enjoy changing it up from time to time. Case in point, this recipe for Curry Burgers with Cilantro Lime Mayo! By changing the spices and toppings just a bit, you have a whole new take on a typical meal!
Try not to use the store-bought mayo if you can. In the USA you can buy ones made with clean oils, but so far in Canada we still only have canola oil-based mayos. Yes, even the ones that say “olive oil mayo” use predominantly canola oil. Homemade mayo is super easy to make though – check out my directions here.
- ⅓ cup homemade mayo (avocado oil, egg, sea salt, lemon, mustard powder)
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup packed cilantro, chopped
- 1lb grassfed beef (or blend of beef and pastured pork)
- ½ onion, diced finely
- 2-3 tsp curry powder (I use 3, because we really like curry!)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Green onion
- If you don't already have mayo made, pull an egg out of the fridge about an hour before making dinner.
- Make mayo, and set a ⅓ cup aside.
- Add lime zest, juice and cilantro to mayo and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to plate.
- Combine all ingredients and form into 4 patties.
- Pan fry, or grill, about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Top with cilantro lime mayo, diced green onions and any other toppings you want!
- HOMEMADE MAYO: http://www.amandanaturally.com/mayo/
What are your favourite things to add to a burger patty to spice it up??