Parties and social gatherings are more difficult for those of us who avoid specific foods for health reasons. It becomes significantly easier when you host, or if you are attending a pot luck, because you know that you will at least be able to eat what you make! The key is bringing something that not only you can eat, but that most of the other guests will enjoy as well. I can tell you from personal experience, when dealing with food allergies, you become way less picky about the things you can eat! I constantly have to remind my husband that while the biscuits I make are good, they are no way identical to gluten-filled ones (although he somehow still can’t see the difference!). So my goal is to make things that are delicious for everyone, not just those of us who have adapted to gluten/grain-free versions!
Case in point, these Sweet Potato Sliders. This recipe is designed to be a jumping off point, so you can adapt it to whatever foods you have on hand. My favourite way to make them is by topping with pulled meat, but there are lots of other ways to utilize them. Here are some suggestions:
- pulled pork + guacamole + salsa (my fav)
- small piece of grilled/flaked salmon + mango chutney
- yogurt (if tolerated) + curry chicken + cilantro
- mini beef patty + caramelized onions
- bacon + lettuce + cherry tomato
- pepperoni + tomato sauce + basil
- smoked salmon + capers
- keep it meat-free by topping with baba ganoush, hummus (if tolerated), guac, cheese, salsa etc.
- 2-4 skinny sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp fat of choice, melted (coconut oil, lard, olive oil)
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice sweet potatoes into even slices, about ¼ inch thick.
- Toss slices in a bowl with melted fat of choice and sea salt.
- Lay slices on a baking sheet, leaving some space in between.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Flip and continue baking for another 15-25 minutes until cooked through.