Have you had coconut milk ice cream yet? If your answer is anything other than “hell ya”, go out and get some right now! Specifically the brand Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss because it has the cleanest ingredients. It’s like the Hagen Daaz of dairy-free ice cream. Rich, creamy, and lots of great flavours (can you say dairy-free salted caramel & chocolate??). It’s amazing (I don’t work for them I swear, I just love the stuff). Other than a little bit of guar gum and their use of agave as sweetener, there’s nothing super sketchy about their ingredients. The only problem? It’s a little pricey and what do you do if you don’t have a store near you which carries them? Or what if you’re like me and you really have to be careful with the amount of guar gum you eat?
That’s where this recipe comes in!! This Summer Berry Ice Cream rivals anything that you can buy – and I’m not just saying that. Give it a try – I promise you won’t be disappointment.
This is a fairly quick ice cream recipe (with a little planning in advance) and the best part is it doesn’t require an ice cream maker (cause I don’t have one…hint hint family).
Summery Berry Ice Cream
- 1 can of Aroy D coconut milk (400ml)
- 100 ml maple syrup (it doesn’t have to be exact, you’re trying to get to a total of 500ml or 2 cups of combined coconut milk/syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
1. Combine coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt. Stir well.
2. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.
3. Once frozen, pop out of trays and dump into your high powered blender with 2 cups of frozen fruit. If you have a Blendtec like me, blend on “ice cream” mode. You might need to pause and scrape down the sides once or twice. (a Vitamix or food processor will work too, just be careful not to over blend!)
Scoop out and enjoy!
If you don’t serve it all up at once, you can put it back in the freezer for later. If it’s too hard, pull it out 5-10 minutes before you want it, to let it soften.